Greg Grabasch empowers people to have a say in designing their own places.
Greg Grabasch models a new role for landscape architects – as design facilitators. In 2006 he founded UDLA design studio in Fremantle, Western Australia on strong principles of social and environmental justice. Greg talks about holding the middle ground – building and maintaining trust with communities while delivering outcomes for developer and government clients.
Find out how Greg became the go-to landscape architect for the trickiest projects in the toughest towns and why he thinks designers need to listen more than they speak.
- 2:03 UDLA: a practice with principles
- 2:40 What even is a design facilitator?
- 3:50 The greatest designer in the world
- 5:21 Designers are knee-deep in politics
- 6:58 Moving cogs in the wheel
- 8:45 You’re defined by the work you don’t do
- 10:40 When top dogs derail the process
- 12:40 Cross-cultural communication tips
- 14:00 Walking the streets of Halls Creek
- 17:55 The plan under the table
- 20:34 What’s your motivation?
- 21:23 Hard won life lessons
Dig Beneath Design: Greg Grabasch empowers people to have a say in designing their own places.